Monday, August 23, 2010

It Comes Back, But It's Never The Same.

So, that was summer, huh? That's cool, I wasn't really planning on doing anything this summer anyway, y'know?

Anyway: here's one of those shameless self-promotion things where I talk about how we were putting together a zine for The Straw, and then we looked at what we'd put together and realized that we really didn't like the idea of putting out another collection of stapled copy paper that you'd eventually just use to clean your windows with anyway, and besides, we could do better, so, yes: we're kinda starting over, except it's not so much starting over as it's just giving it room to grow.

We want more submissions. We want a lot of submissions. I mean, we got a lot, but we want more; and not just from our little circle of artistic friends to whom we serve coffee every day. We want submissions from everyone. Seriously: even if you're only glancing at this blog because you think there might be a chance that I say something vulgar about someone you know, or you're waiting for me to put my foot in my mouth once again, or you just like it when I swear like a sailor getting rimmed in a whorehouse, we want something from you.

One page, 8&1/2 x11. You can even submit more than one page, if you want. We may have guidelines, but we're lazy, and if we like it, we'll pretend to forget our own rules. So: draw, paint, write, scribble, anything. Take photographs. Trace your hand on a piece of paper and turn it into a turkey. Do one of those bark rubbings. Type the letter 'e' over and over again on one page. Get arrested and send us a copy of your fingerprints. Hell, if you have kids, get them to draw something. Or write something. God knows I've pimped out my own kid (and a couple of yours, too, I think) for our cause in the past. Get it in to us. We'll look at it and say 'yea' or 'nay', but chances are we'll say 'yea'.

Because we were never about being exclusive. We were always simply about speaking up. And we're pretty sure that a lot of you have something to say.

(I should clarify: when I said 'we could do better', I was in no way referring to the quality of the work submitted. That stuff's amazing. I actually meant WE could do better, as in those of us who were assembling the stupid thing. Sorry if there was any confusion. I say stupid things sometimes.)


Now here is a song about Drunk Girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment