Friday, November 19, 2010

I Want To Title This "Oh See Can You See" But Also Think That It's A Dumb Title.

Oh, dear. 

So, there I am, having braved temperatures of minus bazillion, surrounded by all these people who might commonly be referred to as 'pals', were I someone who used the word 'pals', checking out the opening bands at the Republik and enjoying them (Occupied Europe have this Gord Downie-fronts-Joy Division thing going on, and Fist City are what you get when Hot Snakes grow up in Lethbridge), when The Oh Sees come on stage, and main Oh See dude John Dwyer swallows the microphone, and then, well, I'm sorry, no offense, but everything that I enjoyed beforehand got lost in this awesomeness of Pure Rock And Roll.

I don't have any words, really. So instead, I'll share this conversation I had with John at his merch table about an hour before he went onstage:

Me: "Do you guys have anything else besides records for sale?"

John: "No, sorry, we were limited with what customs would let us bring."

Me: "That's shitty. Sorry, I don't have a record player." (Yes, I know that this is technically a lie, as my record player is still in its box downstairs in the room we don't talk about, but I didn't particularly feel like carrying a record around in minus whatever weather, so shut it.)

John: "Nah, it's okay; all of our music is online, you can download it for free. I don't mind: I steal people's music every day!"

Me: "I'm really excited to see you guys play!"

John: "Thanks! I just hope we don't fuck up."

Me: "Even then, it'll still be a good show."

John: "Yeah, it'll make for a good story."

John Dwyer. Rock & Roll God, Nicest Man In The World. I TOLD you ya shoulda come.

No comments:

Post a Comment